On a personal level, I’m always looking to extend the work I do with local communities and charities, whether this be through pitching in at events, community tidy-ups or even using my second digital brain.
I was contacted lately by a local resident in Kinlochard who had tasked herself with the job of running the local community magazine. She’d dropped me an email as the magazine did have an accompanying website that she wanted to freshen up, and boy did she have big ideas about that freshen up! This isn’t some small “Let’s make it prettier” type overhaul, nope. This was a full on discussion about what will be done to make the site a benefit, asset and tool for the local community.
Background of Strathard
To put this into perspective a little, Strathard is a council area of Stirlingshire, Scotland that nestles in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. It’s compromised of four main areas, Aberfoyle, Inversnaid, Kinlochard and Stronachlachar. The community magazine is used to offer not only local people with news but also, as the area is a heavy tourist destination with plenty of activities on offer, to promote activities.
So where next?
I find this project really exciting and can’t wait to get stuck in but certain consideration must be given to the things that will shape how the site is designed, this include but are not limited too…
- The target audience is a mix of locals and visitors
- Many residents in the area suffer from a reduced quality of internet service (please see the “Infrastructure woes” section in my previous article “My first five years as a freelance web designer in Stirlingshire“)
- A lot of information will pass through the site
- The area suffers a lot from weather born issues, such as roads being cut off due to flooding and high winds, the site could be a good system for conveying either and early warning or up-to-the-minute updates
- The area covers a fast age range
…and many more.
Talks have begun and hopefully the community will have many ideas to bring to the table, all I can say is it’s a project I’m really looking forward to, so watch this space.
The current Strathard News site can be found at StrathardNews.com and the new iteration is penciled in for a late January launch.